3RD GENERATION, ROBERT K NEWMAN HEADS UP ONE OF THE OLDEST FAMILY OWNED ART GALLERIES IN THE USA
Old Print Shop 1925
Robert K Newman
The Old Print Shop, Inc. was founded in 1898 by Edward Gottschalk in New York City on Fourth Avenue in the back of Wanamaker's. In 1925 he moved the shop to its current location in mid-town Manhattan where it has been ever since. When Gottschalk died, his widow hired Harry Shaw Newman to run the shop. Newman purchased the shop in 1933 and over time emerged as an acknowledged authority in the world of prints, maps, American art, and especially for his leadership in restoring to fame the work of Currier " Ives. He became known as the "Prince of Prints".
In 1949 Kenneth M Newman, Harry's son began working full time in The Old Print Shop. He learned the business at his father's side. Today Kenneth Newman is considered one of the leading experts on American nineteenth-century prints. He is recognized as having restored to public notice the work of John James Audubon and American urban views.
Currier & Ives. American Express Train, 1864
John Sloan. Bonfire, 1920
Robert K Newman, Kenneth's elder son, worked summers at The Old Print Shop during the 1970's and joined the staff after graduating from college in 1979. He received a BFA in photography, but spent most of his time learning printmaking and art history. He brought with him a keen interest in early twentieth-century artists and printmakers and set out to add this material to the Shop's collection. Robert is a member of IFPDA, the association's president for 5 years, and continues on the board. And "the beat goes on": Robert brings his son, Brian, and daughter, Jennifer, to help with their booths at fine print fairs.
The gallery specializes in American graphic arts, antiquarian maps, atlases, artists books, and has an extensive inventory with very strong holdings of American historical prints, including Currier " Ives, John James Audubon, American town views and maps published before 1850. The inventory of American fine art prints 1900-1950 is one of the largest in the United States. Today the Shop is a leading gallery featuring early twentieth-century Americana fine art prints.
Susan Goldman. Enchanted Summer, 2007
Richard Haas. Villard Courtyard, 1983
In 1999 Robert took over the Washington International Print Fair which had been running continuously for 29 years. The fair is still held in Arlington, VA but Robert renamed it to the Capital Art Fair and in 2015 the fair will be 35 years in operation. In 2007 the Shop purchased The Old Print Gallery in Washington, DC. The gallery is located in historic Georgetown just off M Street. In the Washington gallery there is a fine selection of American art between 1750 and 1950, contemporary printmakers, as well as a selection of antique maps.
Certainly this family has long been a major influence in acquiring and selling fine prints and works on paper. Works of art enrich our lives and the Newmans have certainly done that.